As a member of the Susila Dharma International Association, we embrace the following guiding principles:
A Vision of Development.
- We give priority to the needs, aspirations and participation of the individuals and communities with whom we are working.
- We recognize the importance of fundamental human rights and environmental sustainability.
- We work to advance the UN Millennium Development Goals. http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home.html
- We understand development as a positive process of human, social, cultural, environmental, economic and political transformation
Community Participation and Knowledge Sharing.
- We are committed to participatory and inclusive approaches to development.
- As a network we freely share our information and knowledge, continuously learning from each other and from the communities we are trying to assist.
- We base our decisions on mutual understanding and respect. We aim to learn from our mistakes and value our success, no matter how small.
- We are committed to monitoring and evaluating our activities in order to continually improve our development practices.
- Partnerships form the basis for trust and sound development practice.
- Our partnerships respect one another’s autonomy and constraints and are built on honesty, accountability and transparency.
- All partners strive for better understanding and appreciation of one another.
- We reach out to and work in collaboration with institutions that share our aims and objectives.
Transparent and Accountable Management and Reporting.
- We are committed to transparent and accountable reporting, both between members of the network, and towards beneficiaries, donors and the general public.
- We seek to identify the appropriate scale and terms of financial support on a case-by-case basis.
- In addition to being well informed and learning from others, we strive to trust our own perceptions and follow our inner feelings as development practitioners.
Approved at the 2007 Annual General Meeting of SDIA, Ascot UK.